The Physical Immortality Centre of Australia acknowledges Leonard Orr as the Founder of Rebirthing.
The Foundation of Rebirthing is Twenty Connected Breaths
TWENTY CONNECTED BREATHS
Adapted from Leonard Orr
The foundation of Energy Breathing and the practice of breath awareness is a simple exercise called Twenty Connected Breaths. It takes only 30 seconds to do this exercise, so it is ideal for today's fast world. Just 30 seconds of breathing consciously brings fresh life energy into the mind and body. Here is how to do it:
- Take four short breaths.
- Then take one big breath.
- Take the breaths in and out through your nose.
- Do four sets of five breaths, that is, four sets of four short breaths plus one long breath without stopping, for a total
of twenty breaths.
- Merge the inhale with the exhale in an unbroken circle. One inhale connected to one exhale is one breath. All twenty breaths are connected so that it is one connected series of twenty breaths.
- Use the short breaths to emphasize the connecting and merging of the inhale and the exhale into unbroken circles.
- Use the long breath to fill all the room you can find in your lungs on the inhale, and fall into deep relaxation (let go completely) on the exhale.
- Experience a breathing rhythm between pushing and holding. Your breath feels free, and your breathing rhythm flows. Don't force it or control it. Feel your rib cage floating on your diaphragm.
- Breathe consciously and feel energy as well as air moving in your body. This is why it is called Energy Breathing. It is possible to restrict the energy flow while breathing air, and it is possible to restrict the flow of air while breathing energy. You can easily become conscious of breathing energy the first time you do Twenty Connected Breaths by noticing that your fourth long breach is fuller and bigger than your first long breath.
- PHYSICAL SENSATIONS: People who have developed bad breathing habits tend to experience some unusual sensations when they begin to breathe consciously. Some people experience dizziness or tingling sensations in. their face, hands, stomach or elsewhere. If you do the Twenty Connected Breaths exercise every day, you will notice that the physical sensations may change from day to day. This indicates that you are learning about breathing and getting benefit in your body.
- DO THIS EXERCISE ONLY ONCE EACH DAY FOR THE FIRST WEEK. Remember, if you haven't been breathing consciously before this, your body may be oxygen starved. SO EASY DOES IT! Once per day is enough.
- KEEP BREATHING, and any sensations activated within the first twenty breaths will disappear completely. Breathing causes relaxation and relaxation releases tension. As tension dissolves, the release can sometimes cause sensations. If you continue breathing consciously in a gentle rhythm, you will always end up without tension or sensations in a state of deep relaxation, peace and calm.
If you relax too much by breathing consciously too long, you may have such powerful sensations that you frighten
yourself. The purpose of the recommendation that you practice Twenty Connected Breaths only once per day for the first
seven days is to prevent your having too much sensation and becoming frightened. If you practice too much too fast and
become frightened, or if you'd like to go deeper within yourself using the connected breathing rhythm, you can get
support from a professional Breathing Guide.
In Australia phone Physical Immortality Centre of Australia
(Pauline) on 0458 616 570
- Do Twenty Connected Breaths once every day for a year and you will learn more about your breathing than you have learned in your entire life. Energy Breathing is a key to eternal health, creativity and personal fulfillment.